Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Hurricane Irene

We made it back home after a quick trip to Ohio just a few short hours before Hurricane Irene was due to hit. I enjoyed using the storm as an excuse to stock up on lots of goodies to get us through the storm and the "inevitable" power outages that were sure to follow. We had been told that if the power went out in our city, it would be out for at least a week because the power grid was so old.

City Hall in the Pre-Irene gloom


Coincidentally, this was also the week I decided to try and avoid meat.

I stocked up on as many fresh veggies and no-prep needed foods as I could carry. We also stashed all our water bottles in the fridge.

Before the storm, I noticed that we had a gallon of milk that was close to its sell-by date. Rather than dumping it down the drain, I decided to give some homemade ricotta a shot. I'd tried it once before but it didn't turn out well. My mom was very sweet and pretended to like the results.


The next day, to celebrate our survival, intact water-mains and functioning power grid, I made a cheese plate, baked acorn squash (leftover emergency supplies), and crostini with figs, honey, and homemade ricotta. The ricotta was good but a little weird so I'm not putting up the recipe. We decided to walk off our post-storm celebration with a walk around the city to survey the damage.

We made it!

Bring on the next Snowpocalypse!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment