Sunday, April 3, 2011

Pickled Okra

March 29th was a day I never thought would come. While Mary was visiting me I picked up 2 pounds of fresh okra at Reading Terminal and a bag of pickling spices. I had been dying to try making my own pickled okra for a while and this seemed like the perfect opportunity!

I recycled a pickle jar and packed as much fresh, raw okra in there as I could.



Recipe:

Empty, clean 46 fl. oz. pickle jar
2 pounds raw, washed okra
2-3 TBS Pickling spice
4 whole garlic cloves
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup water
2 TBS kosher salt
1/2 tsp sugar

First, wash your okra really really well. Drain. Pack the okra tightly in the pickle jar.

Next, Bring the vinegar and water to a boil.

Add in all ingredients besides the okra. Boil rapidly for 2 minutes.

I let the liquid cool for about 5 minutes (I'm impatient) and then poured it over the okra in my pickle jar.

Let the jar sit for a while to cool. Screw the lid on as tightly as you can. Then comes the hard part. Let the okra marinate for 10 days. The okra was a little slimy at first but I just added a few TBS of water and shook the jar.


I'm always so happy when our fridge looks like this. Stay tuned for an asparagus and artichoke quiche!

No comments:

Post a Comment